A place to share books, music, techniques, and all things related to bilingual storytime!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cuentos y más - Arlington, VA Bilingual Storytimes on YouTube!

I am currently teaching an online course offered through the Library of Virginia called - Connecting with the Spanish-Speaking Community: What You Need to Know Before Offering a Bilingual Storytime in Your Library.  I wanted to get a better idea of what various libraries in Virginia are doing to serve Latino children and families and in digging around, I came across Cuentos y Más - bilingual storytimes on YouTube, brought to you by the Arlington Public Library.  I'm blown away!  Way to go Virginia, and way to go librarian/host Maria Aguilar!  This is super innovative and the videos are very high quality.  On demand bilingual programming that families can access as their schedule allows.  I love that in the one that I saw, in addition to storytime, the program was exposing families to an educational resource available in the community.  The format is fantastic - fun, stories and exposure to community resources.

I would love to hear more about successful and innovative strategies in Virginia or elsewhere in the Southeast for connecting Latinos and Spanish-speakers with libraries.

1 comment:

Ana Lucia Divins said...

Hello!

My name is Ana Lucia Divins. I am the Co-Founder of Criss Cross Mangosauce (www.ccmangosauce.com), an initiative to promote bilingual products and programs and we have also developed audivisual materials for librarians showcasing bilingual techniques using music, drama and storytelling to do so.

I love to see other innovative efforts promoting inclusion and bilingualism in the East Coast. We need more.

Saludos,
Ana Lucia Divins
anadivins@ccmangosauce.com