Bilingual Storytime at Your Biblioteca
Instructor: Katie Scherrer
Dates: November 1-28, 2013
Credits: 1.5 CEUs
Description: This 4-week, online course teaches participants how to present bilingual storytimes (English/Spanish) for various ages, regardless of their own language skills. Video demonstrations, articles, online resources and course discussions direct students as they learn how to successfully deliver the various elements of bilingual storytimes, either on their own or with a bilingual community partner. Participants will discover new books, rhymes, songs, plans and resources that they can immediately put to use in their bilingual storytime programs.
- Students will learn how to select and use the following components in bilingual storytime: books, songs, rhymes, fingerplays, and stories for telling aloud.
- Students will experiment with incorporating bilingual materials into their existing storytime programs.
- Students will select books and other materials they can use to increase inclusion of Latino culture and the Spanish language in their English storytime programs.
- Students will develop strategies for working with bilingual community partners to present and market bilingual storytime.
- Students will gain an increased understanding of the early literacy and school readiness needs of Latino children.
- Students will articulate how bilingual storytime supports the early literacy and school readiness needs of Latino children, and identify online resources for sharing early literacy and school readiness information with Spanish-speaking parents.
- Students will each develop two bilingual storytime plans.
Course structure: This is an online class that is taught asynchronously, meaning that participants do the work on their own time as their schedules allow. The class does not meet together at any particular times, although the instructor may set up optional sychronous chat sessions. Instruction includes readings and assignments in one-week segments. Class participation is in an online forum environment.